Arctic Council: Scorecard for Conservation Results
Organized by the WWF Arctic Programme 26. August 2016
Saturday, October 8, 14:30-15:30
Location: Kaldalón, Harpa First Level
Over the course of 20 years of circumpolar cooperation, the Arctic Council (AC) has delivered multiple landmark assessments of the current and likely future state of the Arctic. These consensually negotiated documents were often accompanied by nonbinding policy recommendations that were approved by biennial ministerial meetings.
WWF is producing an Arctic Council Conservation Scorecard that provides a snapshot of the status of implementation of Arctic Council direction (ministerial decisions contained in ministerial declarations, policy recommendations, guidelines, framework plans, and agreements).
The scorecard evaluates implementation progress from the Salekhard ministerial meeting (2006) to the Kiruna ministerial meeting (2013). It looks at the extent to which:
- The Arctic States implemented endorsed Arctic Council direction within their respective national realms
- The Arctic Council delivered agreed upon commitments through its own work
The scorecard will monitor progress, highlight successful progress, and the speed of implementation.
- Marc-André Dubois, Advisor, External Relations, WWF Arctic Programme: WWF Scorecard Methodology.
- Maya Gold, Fisheries, Oceans and the Canadian Coast Guard, Canada
- Arne Riedel, LLM, Rechtsanwalt (Lawyer); Fellow, Coordinator Arctic, Ecologic Institute: Policy in progress?
- Alexander Sergunin, Professor, Saint-Petersburg State University
- Alexander Shestakov, Director, WWF Arctic Programme