Arctic Futures Initiative: A holistic approach to Arctic development
Organized by the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) 15. October 2015
Adaptations for a stable and prosperous Arctic are of increasing strategic interest, both regionally and globally.
To fulfill the need for more information about potential future conditions of the Arctic, the International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA) is in the planning phase of a new international, collaborative, and integrative research project, the "Arctic Futures Initiative".
In order to support decision-making to advance sustainable and plausible futures for the Arctic in different environmental, social, economic and technological contexts, there is a decided need for holistic, integrative assessment cutting across different disciplines and individual countries' strategic interests.
The objective of the session is to present the AFI systems perspective and approach Arctic Circle Assembly participants for Arctic communities' input to share knowledge and understanding among various communities - researchers, policymakers, and businesses. The breakout session will include four presentations representing research, policy, business and native communities, as well as moderated discussion based on the introductory talks.
- Tero Vauraste, President and Chief Executive Officer, Arctia Shipping; Co Vice-Chair of Arctic Economic Council, Finland
- Peter Lemke, Head of Climate Sciences Research Diviion, Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research
- Gunn Britt Retter, Head of Arctic- and Environmental Unit, Saami Council, Norway
- Hon. Fran Ulmer, Special Advisor to the U.S. Secretary of State on Arctic Science and Policy
- Pavel Kabat, Director General and CEO, IIASA