From Alaska to Lapland – Local Voices Strengthening Arctic Council Chairmanships
Organized by: Institute of the North and the Arctic Centre (University of Lapland) 24. August 2016
This roundtable discussion will reflect on Alaska’s experience in coordinating a sub-national host committee, which has organized side events during the U.S. Chairmanship of the Arctic Council, on the margins of SDWG and SAO meetings. Alaskan speakers will share their experience in convening a diverse group of community, political, economic and indigenous leaders; and methodology related to advancing areas of interest to the state.
Lapland, similarly, has been preparing a Host Committee in anticipation of the Finnish Chairmanship. Session participants from Lapland will share their planning to date. A facilitated discussion will identify commonalities and differences, and work to strengthen future host committee planning as a best practice during future chairmanships of the Arctic Council.
By Gerald Zoher - http://www.gerald-zojer.com/blog/?p=256, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=12278929
- Nils Andreassen, Executive Director, Institute of the North
- Timo Koivurova, Director, Arctic Centre, University of Lapland
- Craig Fleener, Senior Advisor, Arctic Policy & Climate Change, Office of the Governor, Alaska: Advocating for Alaskan Priorities.
- Michael Sfraga, Vice Chancellor, University of Alaska Fairbanks: Highlighting Alaska’s Research Capabilities.
- Mika Riipi, County Governor of Lapland: Lapland as a Partner in the Finnish Chairmanship.
- Timo Rautajoki, President & CEO, Lapland Chamber of Commerce, Finland: Arctic Business Interests.