Arctic Circle VIRTUAL
Greenland in the Arctic: Launch of a new Arctic Circle Mission Council
June 7th 2021
Official launch and first VIRTUAL Dialogue of the Arctic Circle Mission Council: Greenland in the Arctic
H.E. Pele Broberg, Greenland's new Minister for Industry, Trade, Foreign Affairs and Climate discusses Greenland's Foreign Policy and answers questions from the audience.
Co-chaired by: Honorable Össur Skarphéðinsson, former Minister for Foreign Affairs of Iceland; Chair of Iceland’s Commission on Greenland and Honorable Sara Olsvig, former Vice Premier and Minister for Social Affairs, Families, Gender Equality and Justice; Current Ph.d. Fellow, University of Greenland.
H.E. Pele Broberg has been politically active since 2018, both as a member in the Greenlandic Parliament and as the Minister of Finances in 2018. He was born in 1972, is married and has 2 children. Prior to his involvement in politics Broberg was part of the private sector for 25 years. One of his many activities was serving as head of the Greenlandic-Icelandic Chamber of Commerce. He is a trained pilot and Bachelor of Science in Economics and International Business Administration.
Honorable Sara Olsvig is former Vice Premier and Minister for Social Affairs, Families, Gender Equality and Justice. She was elected to the Greenlandic Parliament in 2013 and served as the leader of Inuit Ataqatigiit party from 2014-2018. She represented Greenland in the Danish Parliament from 2011-2014. During her time in politics Olsvig served as the Danish Parliament's representative in the Standing Committee of Parliamentarians of the Arctic Regions and as Chairwoman of the Conference of Parliamentarians of the Arctic Region. She is currently a Ph.D Fellow at the University of Greenland.
Honorable Össur Skarphéðinsson is an Icelandic politician who served as Minister for Foreign Affairs from February 2009 to May 2013. He was appointed Minister of Industry, Energy and Tourism for the Social Democratic Alliance in May 2007. He was also Minister for Nordic Cooperation from 24 May 2007 to 10 June 2008. He was a member of the parliament (Althing) for the Reykjavík Constituency from 1991 to 2003, and for Reykjavík North Constituency from 2003 to 2016. Mr. Skarphéðinsson was Chairman of the Social Democratic Party parliamentary group from 1991 to 1993, Minister for the Environment from 1993 to 1995, and Chairman of the Social Democratic Alliance from 2000 to 2005.
Members of the Arctic Circle Mission Council on Greenland in the Arctic
- Össur Skarphéðinsson former Minister for Foreign Affairs of Iceland; Chair of Iceland’s Commission on Greenland
- Sara Olsvig PhD Fellow, University of Greenland, former MP, Inuit Ataqatigiit.
- Rasmus Gjeddsø Bertelsen Professor and Barents chair, UiT – The Arctic University of Norway: Human Capital and Natural Resources for Sustainable Development in the Arctic
- Nauja Bianco Director, Greenlandic House/North Atlantic House, Odense; Founder and Director, Isuma Consulting
- Dana Eidsness Director, Maine North Atlantic Development Office
- Rachael Lorna Johnstone Professor of Law, Ilisimatusarfik (the University of Greenland) and Professor of Law, University of Akureyri, Iceland.
- Heiðrún Jónsdóttir Board Member, Royal Arctic Line, MD Eimskip 2012-2016
- Mininnguaq Kleist Head of Representation, Greenland Representation to the E.U., Brussels
- Mira Kleist Chief Advisor at the Danish Ministry of Defence
- Inga Dóra Markussen Chairman Siumut party Nuuk, former Secretary General, West Nordic Council
- Inuuteq Holm Olsen Minister Plenipotentiary and Head of Representation, Greenland Representation in Washington, DC
- Eldur Ólafsson Founder and CEO AEX Gold
All questions for H.E. Pele Broberg were submitted by the audience either before or during the event.
Arctic Circle VIRTUAL: Reaction to the Greenland Report
Arctic Circle VIRTUAL: Greenland in the New Arctic
Kim Kielsen, Premier of Greenland at the 2019 Arctic Circle Assembly